CHKTCPSVR - use for TCP/IP printing
Last Post 04 May 2010 11:36 PM by MarvintheMartian. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
MarvintheMartian

--
02 May 2010 11:27 PM
Scott, I have seen your CHKTCPSVR utility and thought I could use it to check whether the TCP/IP Print Server (LPR) service is running on a Windows server. I am trying to have failover to a backup print server. Our Windows "expert" has said I cannot use your utility. Any comments or suggestions as this Windows server fails intermitantly and we are attempting to run 24*7. We do not have any operators or IT staff available out of hours except on call which takes too long to fix a trivial problem. Thanks, Marvin
Scott Klement
Editorial Staff Member
Editorial Staff Member

--
03 May 2010 01:47 AM Accepted Answer
What is the objection? Why doesn't he think it'll work? I guess it depends on what the problem is, and what you're trying to do to detect it... but (at least on the surface) CHKTCPSVR should tell you whether windows is listening for LPD requests or not.
MarvintheMartian

--
04 May 2010 11:36 PM Accepted Answer
Hi Scott, My windows "expert" led me astray but a little Googling gave me enough to try. The 515 port check works fine. This is one Windows service that should be very reliable (been around foreever) but we keep having outages where the service just hangs. The symptom from the AS/400 (System i) point of view is that all *OUTQ s sending to network printer hang in the SND status for pending prints. Anyway, thanks for this little utility (CHKTCPSVR) as now I can have automatic failover to a backup Windows server. Thanks, Marvin :)
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy