FTP-> Unix, script file
Last Post 28 Mar 2013 08:39 AM by Bas Van Zetten. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Resolved
Bas Van Zetten

--
28 Mar 2013 04:38 AM

Hello

When we ftp we use an ifs script file. For a new contact we connect to a unix system. The provided user and password are mixed case, and appear as such in the script. However executing this script both user and password seem to default to uppercase, which causes the connection to fail.

Is there a way to force the user/password to keep the case as provided in the script?

thanks

Jack Callahan
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
28 Mar 2013 07:58 AM

Not clear where the problem is from your description.

What IBM i operating system are you using?

Are you piping the IFS script file into an OS/400 FTP command, or are you running ftp within PASE/QSHELL (or something else altogether)?

Are the user profile and password embedded in the script?

Are you retrieving them from environment variables within the script?

Are you using values from the users home directory?

Are you trying to pass them as parameters from the  IBM i environment?

FWIW, I've been using Scott Klement's FTPAPI service program on IBM i5/OS v5r4 when I need to ftp. Superior error handling versus batch scripting. No problem connecting with mixed case usernames or passwords,

Bas Van Zetten

--
28 Mar 2013 08:06 AM

Hi Jack

We use V6R1M0 and use the overriden 'input' to feed the script into FTP. The user and password are embedded in the script.

FWIW, I've been using Scott Klement's FTPAPI service program on IBM i5/OS v5r4 when I need to ftp. Superior error handling versus batch scripting. No problem connecting with mixed case usernames or passwords,

Ok, thanks for the info

Scott Klement
Editorial Staff Member
Editorial Staff Member

--
28 Mar 2013 08:17 AM

I'm a bit confused.   You didn't say which FTP software you're using, so the assumption would be that you're using IBM's.  (The one that comes with the operating system.)   Is that true?

But... how do you pipe a stream file to the IBM command?  I didn't think that was possible?

And... why would FTP software change the upper/lower case of a password or userid?  That would require extra code in the program, and the extra code would actually break compatibility with a large number of FTP servers.  Why would they do that?   Very strange, indeed.

Bas Van Zetten

--
28 Mar 2013 08:39 AM

Hello Scott

I probably used the wrong terms to describe how we execute the ftp

sorry for any confusion.

We use several scripts for several situations as templates. these are stored on the ifs. We copy the correct one to a db2 file, complete the script, override the file named "input" to this particular file and process the FTP. This procedure is used daily and for some years now, but doesnt seem to work for the new contact. I guess in the rush to get things done we overlooked something basic...

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy