data transfer from AS400 using iSeries
Last Post 01 Mar 2013 12:14 AM by B.Hauser. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
p tk

--
27 Feb 2013 04:22 PM

My company uses AS400 with i series platform for day to day operations. I am very new to these systems and working as an end user (as a demand analyst)

I want to know the formula used to define a parameter. I can locate tables and parameters inside that table using i series interface. 

But when I import that data into MSExcel, values of some parameters are not as per my expectations. Is there anyway I can find out the formula used to define these parameters ?

I go to Addin in Msexcel -> transfer data from i series -> locate library -> locate table name -> import

Any help highly appreciated.

Scott Klement
Editorial Staff Member
Editorial Staff Member

--
27 Feb 2013 05:19 PM

The operating system for our platform was originally released under the name OS/400, but was replaced with a newer generation called i5/OS, and then subsequently replaced with a newer generation called IBM i.  So on the software end, we have:  OS/400, i5/OS or IBM i.

The hardware for our platform was originally released as AS/400.  Later replaced with iSeries, then System i5, and finally, Power Systems.

So if you bought a system today, you'd have the IBM i operating system running on Power Systems hardware.

The reason I'm explaining this is because you refer to "AS400 with iSeries platform", which doesn't make any sense -- it means you're running an old version of the hardware on top of an even older version of the hardware.  Really doesn't make any sense...  so I thought it'd be useful to understand what the names mean.

Anyway -- on to your question...

You are importing data into Excel.  You don't say how you're doing this, but you mention an add-in, so probably using IBM i Access for Windows.  (Previously known as System i Access, iSeries Access or Client Access... etc)  You want to know the formula used to get the values.

As far as I know, the add-in doesn't apply any formulas... it just imports data directly from your database.  Are you certain you're pulling data from the right library?

p tk

--
28 Feb 2013 08:56 AM

Scott,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It explains a lot and add many things to my knowledge. As I said, I am not much familiar with software side so i might have put wrong description to explain system versions. I work on business planning side. 

but regarding formulas, I will try to explain in better way. 

First I logged into iSeries communicator and wrote a new query (using query profile). For that I selected a file (abc) and then parameter sorting, output format etc.

I saved that query. After running that query, I opened MS Excel and imported data using Addin tab. On addin tab, I clicked on import data -> import data from iseries -> located library -> file name -> import. 

So till this point, I got the data, which I was supposed to get when I wrote query. But problem here is - I want to know what formulas are used in file abc. abc has three parameters in it. (numbers, average, 12 month average). I can write queries using file abc, I can import data into Excel after running queries but I am not able to understand what formulas are used behind these three parameters into iseries file.

In short, when I go to option - Display database file (in iSeries communicator), I see parameters and their values on the screen but I cannot see how they are calculated (e.g. 12 month average, mean, deviation etc. ) Is there anyway to go behind these parameters to see formulas? 

does it tell you more about my problem ?

Thanks.

Scott Mildenberger

--
28 Feb 2013 10:38 AM
How those values are calculated are not part of the the database file. You will have to track down what application program is writing the data to those files. Unfortunately there is no easy way to do that, it depends a lot on the applications on your system in particular.
p tk

--
28 Feb 2013 11:53 AM

@ Scott Mildenberger: Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking to follow a path to create a new file in iseries. So, whenever it will prompt me to define parameters, I will understand from where it is pulling data. but unfortunately our system doesn't have an option to create new database file. It offers to create new queries and display database file. 

So any more suggestions ?

B.Hauser
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
01 Mar 2013 12:14 AM
What do you want?!
Creating a temporary or permenent file and retrieving the creation statement out of the object?
If so you have to use SQL instead of QUERY/400.
The SQL statement for any database object can be retrieved with the IBM i Navigator - Database (part or Client Access), by right clicking on the database object and choosing GENERATE SQL.

Birgitta

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy