Print Source Members
Last Post 28 Jan 2013 11:07 AM by dexum. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
purplenova

--
25 Jan 2013 08:16 AM
I need an effective way to print ALL RPG source members from various libraries.

The output will be saved to a CD.

I know I can print each member individually, but that won't work in this instance.
We have 4 different libraries where I need to print all the members from.

Any ideas.

Thanks
JJ Dahlheimer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
25 Jan 2013 08:43 AM
Why print and then save to a cd? seems it would be easier to just save all the sources directly to the CD. We still use a lot of tape and this is easy to accomplish with a tape, never really used cds. Otherwise we also save some stuff to a savf and then ftp that to an external source.
purplenova

--
25 Jan 2013 08:46 AM
Posted By JJ Dahlheimer on 25 Jan 2013 09:43 AM
Why print and then save to a cd? seems it would be easier to just save all the sources directly to the CD. We still use a lot of tape and this is easy to accomplish with a tape, never really used cds. Otherwise we also save some stuff to a savf and then ftp that to an external source.

we need to save the source as a text file and send it to auditors. They will either view the text or print it off .

Just not sure how to get it off the iSeries onto a cd without printing each member seperately then using Navigator to convert it to text
Thomas Sullivan

--
25 Jan 2013 09:01 AM
[quote]

Copy File (CPYF)

Where allowed to run: All environments (*ALL)
Threadsafe: Conditional
Parameters
Examples
Error messages

The Copy File (CPYF) command copies all or part of a file from the database or from an external device to the database or to an external device. It can:

• Copy data and source files between database files. Records can be copied from physical or logical files. However, records can be copied only to physical files, not to logical files.
  • Copy data and source files from external devices, such as diskette and tape, to the database.
  • Copy data and source files from the database to external devices.
  • Copy data and source files from external devices to other external devices.
  • Copy data and source files from inline data files to the database or to external devices.
[/quote]
purplenova

--
25 Jan 2013 09:48 AM
Posted By Thomas Sullivan on 25 Jan 2013 10:01 AM
[quote]

Copy File (CPYF)

Where allowed to run: All environments (*ALL)
Threadsafe: Conditional
Parameters
Examples
Error messages

The Copy File (CPYF) command copies all or part of a file from the database or from an external device to the database or to an external device. It can:

• Copy data and source files between database files. Records can be copied from physical or logical files. However, records can be copied only to physical files, not to logical files.
  • Copy data and source files from external devices, such as diskette and tape, to the database.
  • Copy data and source files from the database to external devices.
  • Copy data and source files from external devices to other external devices.
  • Copy data and source files from inline data files to the database or to external devices.
[/quote]
Never thought of this. It will work, but not effectively for our purpose.  We need to be able to reproduce the spool file, by its member name so that the auditors can quickly review the code.

This method above will only create one large file, with all the members listed within.

I know I can use iSeries Navigator to print them, then I can copy them to the CD, but even with that method, it creates a file titled QPUSPRTFXXXXXX.txt.
This also isnt very friendly to our auditors.

Thanks
Tom

Terry Winchester
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
25 Jan 2013 09:59 AM

You can use FTP to move all members from a specific source physical file to your PC. They will come down in text form. Open a DOS box on your PC, create a temporary folder and change to the folder (e.g. CD\FolderName) then activate FTP:

FTP  MySystem

prompt off

mget SourceFileName.*

It may take a couple of minutes...

Terry

novacancy
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
25 Jan 2013 10:00 AM
Not sure if this can work, but, it is what I would try first

Create a PDM user defined option that will call a CL program accepting the name of a source member
in the cl program create a physical file that is named the source member
copy the source member to the physical just created
copy the physical file to a .txt file in a IFS folder(copytoimpf?)
name the .txt file the source member name

execute the PDM user defined option for each source member, to create .txt files for all of the source members

Regards
Enduring the V5R3 blues
purplenova

--
25 Jan 2013 10:24 AM
Posted By Terry Winchester on 25 Jan 2013 10:59 AM

You can use FTP to move all members from a specific source physical file to your PC. They will come down in text form. Open a DOS box on your PC, create a temporary folder and change to the folder (e.g. CD\FolderName) then activate FTP:

FTP  MySystem

prompt off

mget SourceFileName.*

It may take a couple of minutes...

Terry

This works great - Thank you so much..

Tom
dexum
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
28 Jan 2013 11:07 AM