Open file excel in Ifs from 5250 environment
Last Post 22 Jan 2013 02:07 PM by gio.cot. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
gio.cot
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Jan 2013 02:33 PM

Hi all

i have  a program that create an excel file in IFS, i would like to allow to user open directcly the xls file from 5250 envrionment. What techniques I can use ?

If i use STRPCCMD, which problems i can have with user name and password for the two environment windows and Os400 ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestion

Ringer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Jan 2013 07:33 AM
If the windows user ID and password exactly match the AS400 user profile and password and the AS400 user is enrolled in the system distribution directory (WRKDIRE) and the user profile is not disabled in NetServer, then you shouldn't get the AS400 login pop-up window, and NetServer login is automatic.

Chris Ringer
Emmanuel
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Jan 2013 07:52 AM

Don't think you need a directory entry for non-QDOC folders.

The password for Windows 7 clients needs to be entered in either all upper or all lower-case.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Ringer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Jan 2013 08:09 AM
Yeah, that's right. A directory entry is only required for /QDLS folders. But I'd set it up now so it won't be an issue later.
STRPCCMD is limited to 123 characters too.
You need to share the folder via NetServer for the user to access files in that folder. And Windows like backslashes \ in the path, not forward slashes /.
STRPCCMD PCCMD('start \\Qyour400\sharedfolder\blah\blah2\some_test.pdf') PAUSE(*NO)

Chris Ringer
Emmanuel
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Jan 2013 10:27 AM

Chris wrote: "But I'd set it up now so it won't be an issue later."

You would? Seems like a lot of trouble for the possibility of sharing via a really old file system that's limited to 8.3 file names.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Ringer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Jan 2013 11:13 AM
Yep, I sure would. Why? Because when another programmer clones your code and wants to know why it's not working, you get to research and then explain why. If it's set up to begin with, then I don't get the questions every 6 months. And, when a new employee has to use an old program that accesses a QDLS folder, it happens too. I too avoid the old /QLDS.

Chris Ringer
gio.cot
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Jan 2013 02:21 PM

Hi

i have tried "STRPCCMD PCCMD('start \\Qyour400\sharedfolder\blah\blah2\some_test.pdf') PAUSE(*NO) " but if the user os400 and windows  are the same but the password is different  it seems not work; in dos window  i receive "denied access" . Any idea to solve this problem ??

Thanks in advance

Ringer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
20 Jan 2013 06:35 AM
Yes, I have found that trying to open a document directly can be an issue when the Windows/AS400 Credentials don't match. I have the apps keep track if the user's job has not yet tried to open an IFS doc. If NO, then having STRPCCMD open a *directory* initially seems to force the login window to magically appear. I have a nearly empty directory with just a document named Congrats_Close_The_Directory_Now.txt (or something like that) and on the green screen side pop up a Yes/No window that says "Did you connect? If so, close the folder and press ENTER to continue". THEN I open the PC doc. Yeah, weird, I know. There's probably a better way but I never found it.

Chris Ringer
gio.cot
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
22 Jan 2013 02:07 PM

Hi

i was thinking : the "GUEST" user can't resolve the problem ?? 

Thanks

P.S. where can i find the logic followed  by the pc when try to connect to As ? example:  if  pc user exist in as400, then try to connect with the user pc if not exist ?? what happend .

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy