iSeries Unicode UCS-2 v UTF-16
Last Post 09 Jan 2013 10:50 AM by Bryan Leaman. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
Jon Stephens

--
11 Dec 2012 10:46 AM

We are investigating what is involved in converting our system to Unicode with the intention of making the system available to countries in Asia. We have successfully converted a small part of the system using UCS-2 as a proof of concept.

Since then, we have discovered that UCS-2 is widely considered obsolete and it is suggested that UTF-16 should be used instead. As I understand it, there may be an issue with, for example, Japanese proper names not being supported by UCS-2 and also that  there might be problems with mandatory requirements for the Chinese market (GB18030).

If we do need to used UTF-16 instead of UCS-2,  what do we need to take into consideration?

Bryan Leaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Jan 2013 10:50 AM
I'm interested in this too. We went with UCS-2 for website translation text to be able to handle Asian and other character sets. So far all I've seen is that since UCS2 assumes 2 bytes per character (ignoring "combining characters and surrogates") it should perform better. But things like substring and string-length operations wouldn't be accurate if either combining characters or surrogates were used. For that reason, if I were dealing with data being gathered rather than my relatively static translations, I'd have probably chosen UTF-16.

--Bryan
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy