AppServer4RPG hang up?
Last Post 16 Feb 2012 06:53 AM by J Taylor. 9 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
J Taylor

--
14 Feb 2012 01:01 PM
Anyone using AppServer4RPG?  I'm looking at it as a replacement to a cobbled together homegrown JDBC solution.  I have it all loaded (I think) but a connect attempt just sits indefinitely waiting on a dequeue operation.  I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice.
benderd
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
14 Feb 2012 10:56 PM
looks like the Java Server not started or some kind of misconfiguration. Could you please elaborate a little bit what you've done so far?

D*B
Access any Database from ADABAS to XBASE with embedded SQL in RPG. http://sourceforge.net/projects/appserver4rpg/
J Taylor

--
15 Feb 2012 07:59 AM

I had done:

• Deployed the WAR to Tomcat and Tomcat showed the app as running
  • Restored the JVAGATE SAVF
  • Run the ADDRDBDIRE command
  • Set the system, user, password and DB info in global.properties

I kept researching the problem and discovered two additional things I had to do.

1. AppServer4RPG writes to a log file in the Tomcat user's $HOME.  That dir didn't exist, so I created it.
  2. Our audit logs showed an authority failure on JVAGATE/JAVAQ for the specified user.  That object was set to *PUBLIC *CHANGE, which I thought would be sufficient.  I changed the authority and realized that user was trying to delete and recreate that data queue.

After making those changes, it started working, although I immediately discovered something it cannot handle.  I'm connecting to MS SQL 2005.  It hangs up, "Waiting for dequeue", if the result set contains a bit column with a null value.  Unfortunately, I've locked up two 5250 jobs narrowing down exactly what was causing the problem.  I tried an ENDJOB on the first one, and it's now showing Rollback--Waiting for dequeue from data queue Jvagate/R292659.  Guess I may have to pull out the ENDJOBABN, but I hate to do that.

benderd
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Feb 2012 08:26 AM
Hi,

normally the Client Jobs could be interrupted by deleting the response DataQ in the install lib of JVAGTE. Accessing columns with null values should not harm. To analyze waht happens, you could raise the loglevel of log4j by adding folloowing line to log4j.properties
log4j.logger.de.bender_dv.ardgate=DEBUG
trying it again and sending me the logfile and the SQL statement you tried and the create statement of the SQL Server table, I could reproduce and solve the problem, sometimes a cast operation could be needed, or if it is a bug of ArdGate it could be fixed.

D*B
Access any Database from ADABAS to XBASE with embedded SQL in RPG. http://sourceforge.net/projects/appserver4rpg/
J Taylor

--
15 Feb 2012 10:32 AM

Deleting the data queues did free up those jobs, thanks.

The null problem seems to only be an issue for columns with a data type of bit.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[bitTest](
	[id] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
	[column1] [bit] NULL
) ON [PRIMARY]

select id, column1
  from bitTest    

Having trouble getting the log file posted.  Too many unrecognizable characters.
benderd
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Feb 2012 12:08 PM
... one of the problems of the ArdGate aproach is, that DB2 is dealing with databases it doesn't know, so I'm very inerested in getting input of error situatioms to solve these problems. One solution in these cases is to cast datatypes unknown by DB2 to wellknown datatypes (BTW AFAIK bit is no ANSI SQL datatype). Talking about the logfiles, did you try to post it as ZIP File, or to send it by eMail to one of my wellknown eMail adresses?

D*B
J Taylor

--
15 Feb 2012 12:55 PM
I agree that bit is not a standard data type.

I was trying to just copy-and-paste the log file, but the paste always stopped at the first unrecognizable character. I ended up outputing it as a PDF and e-mailing it to you using the contact link on your website.
Scott Klement
Editorial Staff Member
Editorial Staff Member

--
15 Feb 2012 02:42 PM
In the forum message editor, beneath the "submit" button, you'll find an area where you can upload attachments.  (You may have to click the arrow on the right-hand side to expand the box).  You can use this to upload a .ZIP file or a .TXT file or an image.  This might be an easier way to get your log file posted.
benderd
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Feb 2012 11:42 PM
Posted By J Taylor on 15 Feb 2012 08:59 AM

It hangs up, "Waiting for dequeue", if the result set contains a bit column with a null value.

... finally the logfile reached me per eMail, thanks a lot.

Having a look to the implementation, there are two problems to fix:

- "unknown" Datatypes should handle null values in a correct manner

- ArdGate should not "hang up"

First problem will be fixed with the next version. Second problem will be fixed for this situation and I'll put it on the redesign Todos.

Public deployment of this will take some time, because I'm working on the overall startup mechanism, to make it easier for people without Java knowledge to implement ArdGate (and I'm short of time at the moment).

Justin, if you have urgent need on the fix, you could get a hotfix, simply send me an eMail.

Dieter

J Taylor

--
16 Feb 2012 06:53 AM
No need for a hotfix, thanks. In RPG, I use COALESCE any time nulls are possible.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy