iSeries Access session settings
Last Post 06 Jan 2012 04:53 PM by John C. 12 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
John C
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Jan 2012 04:31 PM

Hi all

Product: IBM iSeries Access - Personal Communications Version 5.8 for Windows

Many of the settings for the emulation settings are global, but some settings (window size, etc.) are unique to each instance started (i.e. with File > Run the Same). and they are kept. If I shut down everything, the next day each session I start "remembers" some settings.

I've got one session that's duffed up, so I want to blow it away and have it get its settings from the first session next time, but I can't find where they're stored. Trying to fix the session itself through the GUI isn't working. To clarify, the first session started may be ABCa1 and the second ABCa2 - well, ABCa2 is storing settings that are corrupted and I want to get rid of them.

And yes, I know it's a very ancient way of accessing the iSeries but I have zero influence over the software/addins/utilities used on my client's machine - I'm a sub-sub-contractor; lowest man on the IT totem pole, so I have to make do with what's provided.

J Taylor

--
04 Jan 2012 05:52 PM
If you open the offending session and do a File=>Save As, that should open the folder where the .WS files are stored. First thing to try would be to delete the corresponding .WS file.
John C
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Jan 2012 06:06 PM

Thanks for your reply, but that's not it.

There's only one .ws - it has the name of the client - e.g. myclient.ws

The connection settings have 'Avoid duplicate names on this workstation' and 'Avoid duplicate names with other workstations' both ticked. This is how I prefer it, so that there's only one workstation definition as such, but there can be many instances of it (if you double-click on myclient.ws repeatedly, or use File > Run the same, a new session will be created with a suffix added - a1, b1, etc.) So, on the face of it, it would seem that there's only one set of settings, but I know otherwise. If I drag the corner to make b1 bigger, then click on File > Save, the next day a1 will still be the same as it was but b1 will be bigger. Some settings are saved for each instance.

However ... I could keep clicking on the icon and getting c1, d1, etc. and when a session is started for the first time ever, it takes its defaults from one of the previous instances (don't know if it's the first or the latest).

So, I want to remove all the session-specific settings for, say, b1, while leaving the others alone. So the emulator will create a fresh b1 without any corrupt settings.

J Taylor

--
04 Jan 2012 09:24 PM
I was afraid of that. Then it is probably buried in the registry.
Robert Clay
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Jan 2012 05:59 AM

I have one machine that has four different partitions so I like to keep differently-configured sessions so that I can tell them apart (mainly, the background color so that I don't get one confused with another).  I even have multiple sessions with different color patterns for the same partition so that I can be signed in as QSECOFR on one, and with my developer user ID on another.

1.  Open the session that has the settings you want to keep.
2.  Click File->Save As...
3.  Note the folder that it is saved in
4.  Give it a name and click Save.  This will store it as a new session but with the configuration that you desire.
5.  Open Windows Explorer (right-click on START and select the option to open Windows Explorer (the naming is dependent on the version of Windows).
6.  Navigate to the folder that you noted in step 3. above
7.  Right-click on the new .WS file that you created with the new name and copy it, renaming the copies as you desire

Now you have a whole bunch of sessions that you can open just by double-clicking them and you can change them to be as different as you like.  You may even want to make individual Windows shortcuts to the different sessions and put them on your Windows desktop.
When you are using one session and want to open another, do not use File->Run the Same.  Instead use, File->Run Other... and just select the pre-configured session you want to use.

Once you get all of this up and running as you like, go back and rename/delete the original .WS file because you probably will never use it again.

HTH,

Robert

"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."--Tweedledee
John C
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 Jan 2012 03:18 PM

Thanks, but that's not really an answer to my question.

I used to do it that way but it was vastly inferior. Ninety nine percent of the time I want changes I make in one session to be  shared among all sessions. This question is about the 1 percent. I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Look like no one knows, so I'll just blow away the workstation defn. and start again from scratch. A lot quicker than setting up six separate sessions that are all identical.

J Taylor

--
06 Jan 2012 03:30 PM
If you could give the specifics about what's wrong, someone might be able to help.
Brian Rusch
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Jan 2012 04:02 PM
Look for a file named PCSWIN.ini. I think some of the window size, location, and font settings are in there.
John C
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 Jan 2012 04:10 PM
Appreciate the replies and the good intentions behind them, but I don't know how I can be any clearer:

One instance of multiple instances of one workstation definition is corrupt so I want to remove all its settings.
Only the settings for that instance.
Not the settings for the definition.
Not multiple definitions.

I've just re-read my original post and that's what it says.

If I seem churlish it's just that after many years of asking and answering questions on bulletin boards (in many different areas of interest), I've become kind of weary of posting carefully constructed "How do I do X?" questions and getting the reply "Here's how to do Y". I guess many people would say it's impolite not to be grateful for any reply. My feeling is that it's unhelpful not to read the question carefully. Then sometimes other people, having read the last post, post their idea of how to do Y, and I have to try to lead the discussion back to how to do X.

The other thing is that someone might be around who knows how to do X, but they see (without reading it) that one or more replies have been posted and move on to the next unanswered question.

It's a touchy area, internet communications, without the tone and facial gestures to gauge someone's good intentions. I'm not intending to be rude, just to maybe lift the quality a bit. I think if you look back at my questions (on this forum I'm more an asker than an answerer) you'll see that I'm always grateful for useful advice.
J Taylor

--
06 Jan 2012 04:15 PM
IMHO, saying it is "corrupt" is not very specific. No one has replied with a way to delete all of the settings, which is what you asked for. As I understand it, your actual desire is to correct whatever is wrong with one particular session. If you can share what is wrong with that session, someone might be able to help. Although considering how easy it is to create PC5250 sessions, it might be just as easy to start over with a new name.

Have a nice weekend.
John C
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 Jan 2012 04:19 PM
Posted By Brian Rusch on 06 Jan 2012 05:02 PM
Look for a file named PCSWIN.ini. I think some of the window size, location, and font settings are in there.

Thanks, that is the answer.

That file has the settings per instance.

Brian Rusch
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Jan 2012 04:29 PM
Posted By John C on 06 Jan 2012 05:10 PM
Appreciate the replies and the good intentions behind them, but I don't know how I can be any clearer:

One instance of multiple instances of one workstation definition is corrupt so I want to remove all its settings.
Only the settings for that instance.
Not the settings for the definition.
Not multiple definitions.

I've just re-read my original post and that's what it says...

...I'm not intending to be rude, just to maybe lift the quality a bit. I think if you look back at my questions (on this forum I'm more an asker than an answerer) you'll see that I'm always grateful for useful advice.

The problem with your question is the phrase "remove all its settings" because not all settings are stored in the same place.  Some of the settings are stored in the PCSWIN.ini file and some are stored in the session definition (.ws) file.  Since you didn't specify which settings were corrupt, it was hard to give a definitive answer.

If the corruption relates to the window size, location, or font for an individual instance of a workstation definition, then look in the PCSWIN.ini file.  If it is something else, then I don't know how to fix it except to start over with the workstation definition.

Edit: I see you responded to my previous post.  Glad I could help.

John C
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 Jan 2012 04:53 PM
Posted By J Taylor on 06 Jan 2012 05:15 PM
IMHO, saying it is "corrupt" is not very specific. No one has replied with a way to delete all of the settings, which is what you asked for. As I understand it, your actual desire is to correct whatever is wrong with one particular session. If you can share what is wrong with that session, someone might be able to help. Although considering how easy it is to create PC5250 sessions, it might be just as easy to start over with a new name.

Have a nice weekend.

Fair point. In this case however the omission was deliberate; I'd thought it through. I could describe the behaviour exactly and maybe get the correct answer on how to do it through the GUI. Or maybe get lots of dead ends, each of which I'd have to try out and then report back.

But let's say I did get the correct reply, either straight off or eventually. Now I know how to fix that exact precise problem, but anything else goes wrong with an instance and I'm back to square one. 

I knew three things for sure: 1. Settings are stored per instance, 2. All the other instances were fine, 3. When you start an instance for the first time ever (say you go to 9 sessions one day when you've only ever gone to 8 before), it captures its settings from an existing instance.

So, if I ask a more general, higher-level question, I'll get the answer to any problem that relates to instance-specific problems. And that's what I now have.

Thanks again for all the replies, which I know were posted in good faith.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy