Creating V7R1 Upgrade optical image catalog
Last Post 10 Nov 2011 12:24 PM by J Taylor. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mike Young

--
10 Nov 2011 09:29 AM

I’m trying to set up an image catalog for a V7R1 upgrade.  My boss Joyce downloaded V7R1 software from the IBM Software entitlements web-site to one of our network drives.  There are about 80 WinZip files.  I think Joyce downloaded everything there was out there and figured I could sort it out!  (I don’t think we need Websphere for the Commodore 64)  J

I located the “Media labels and their contents” document and whittled my list of files down to I_BASE_01, B_GROUP1_01 through 05, and two F_MULTI_NLV files.  I then FTPd them to an IFS folder and added them to an image catalog on the iSeries partition we are using to test with.  When I attempted to “verify” the image catalog, it failed with an OPT1325 (Optical volume format not recognized).  

After calling IBM support, they said I needed to “extract” the WinZip files which I did.  I was cruising along nicely with I_BASE01, BGROUP1_01, 02, and 03,  but when I extracted 04 and 05, it created a bunch of folders (that look to be individual licensed program folders).  In those folders are more folders, and there’s not an iso file to be found.  Now I don’t know what to add to my image catalog.  Can someone help me?

Thanks –

Mike

Scott Klement
Editorial Staff Member
Editorial Staff Member

--
10 Nov 2011 11:19 AM
Inside the .ZIP files should be .ISO files.  These are images of DVDs  (Someone at IBM designed a DVD, created directories on it, put all of the files in the proper spots, etc.  Then made an "image" of the DVD with all of that set up, suitable for writing to a disc.)

That's what image catalogs understand -- direct images of CDs, DVDs and tapes.

It sounds to me like you unzipped the .ZIP file and got an .ISO file.  Then you also extracted the contents of the .ISO file, too...  which is where you went wrong.   (Or maybe WinZip does that automatically.  In which case, I wouldn't use WinZip!)
J Taylor

--
10 Nov 2011 11:30 AM
FWIW, at v5r4 the ISO files have a .BIN extension, but they are still ISO files and what I load into my image catalog.
Scott Klement
Editorial Staff Member
Editorial Staff Member

--
10 Nov 2011 12:15 PM
PTF files have a .BIN extension (but are still ISO files), yes...

But the OP is talking about the installation DVDs for IBM i, isn't he?  And they have actual .ISO extensions.  (I looked at mine before I posted.)
J Taylor

--
10 Nov 2011 12:24 PM
Posted By Scott Klement on 10 Nov 2011 12:15 PM
PTF files have a .BIN extension (but are still ISO files), yes...

But the OP is talking about the installation DVDs for IBM i, isn't he?  And they have actual .ISO extensions.  (I looked at mine before I posted.)

Yep, my bad.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy