Anybody have an Android Tablet?
Last Post 09 Jun 2011 01:01 PM by J Taylor. 48 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages Not Resolved
J Taylor

--
31 Mar 2011 05:04 PM
I'm looking at getting a wifi Android tablet. Does anyone have one? Any tips, suggestions, warnings of doom-and-gloom? TIA
Nathan Andelin
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2011 06:01 PM Accepted Answer
I spent some time reviewing the cost, specs, and value propositions of Android tablets, but the iPad 2 seemed to surpass Android offerings in just about every respect. The stores in our area can't seem to keep inventory of iPad 2, it is selling like a block buster. I finally ordered one, online. I'll have to wait a few weeks. -Nathan
Linda Harty
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2011 06:47 PM Accepted Answer
Ditto for me. We have an iPad (1 and 2) and a Xoom at home, and I like the iPad better, maybe just because I'm used to its interface, since I've had an iPhone for almost two years now.
Linda Harty System iNEWS/System iNetwork Executive Editor
Emmanuel
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
31 Mar 2011 07:26 PM Accepted Answer
I finally ordered one, online.
Ditto - right from Apple.com - free engraving included. Wish I had read this first: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...an-ipad-2/ Cheers, Emmanuel
Nathan Andelin
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2011 07:36 PM Accepted Answer
With respect to iPad 2, the screen cover is elegant and useful. I'm nearly as impressed with it as much as the device itself. It doubles as a stand for watching movies, or for setting the iPad 2 at a slight angle on a table for typing, depending on how it's folded. The engineering is simply brilliant. I also ordered a wireless keyboard and dock. The keyboard and cover already arrived. I really like their look and feel. I'm looking forward to trying the Mocasoft emulator for 5250 access, along with several other apps. It could turn out to be an alternate workstation for me. We have an HP netbook with Windows 7, but in comparison to iPad 2, it looks and feels much heavier. -Nathan
Scott Klement
Editorial Staff Member
Editorial Staff Member

--
31 Mar 2011 07:43 PM Accepted Answer
I have an iPad (the original one, not iPad2) and have no experience with Xoom. (And I'm not sure if there are other Android tablets?) But, according to the reviews I've read: Xoom has a better display, designed for widescreen movies Xoom has 4g support (vs. 3g on iPad) One reviewer said the Xoom had higher-res cameras. (Though, he didn't have stats on what the resolution of the iPad2 cams were... so take it with a grain of salt!) CPU power is a tie between iPad2 & Xoom. iPad has better support. iPad has many, many more apps designed for it. There aren't many apps designed for Android tablets (though, it can run the ones designed for phones which are plentiful -- they just don't look as good.) iPad has much better battery life. iPad is more stable / has fewer crashes. (But, this'll doubtless change over time.) For me, the apps & the battery life are the issues that have mean leaning towards an iPad2 for my next tablet.
JJ Dahlheimer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
31 Mar 2011 07:56 PM Accepted Answer
I have wanted a tablet for a while but don't think I would use it enough to justify the price. So I have read a few reviews, and there was even one published in the magazine in the last couple of months though I can't find it yet and his main point was be careful as there a few cheap android tablets out there but they are junk. Although I have read good things about Xoom it seems to be very spendy. Found the link. http://systeminetwork.com/article/t...id-tablets
Linda Harty
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2011 08:44 PM Accepted Answer
Good call, jj. I had forgotten about Sean Chandler's article. But now that you mention it, Sean did get a reader letter about that column, and we're publishing the letter and his response in the letters section of the print magazine in the May issue. Here's a sneak peek at the letter. It's important, because Sean changes his mind about the Galaxy tablet.
Hello Mr. Chandler—I have been with the IBM midrange systems since the mid 70's. Starting with the system 3s (15D), system 32/34/38's etc. I have been reading System iNEWS for quite a number of years and have received great information from this. That being said, has nothing really to do with this e-mail. I was surprised to see your article on the Android tablets, in particular the Samsung Galaxy Tab. The Galaxy came down to being my choice, but have not yet made the plunge. BTW, Verizon is also my carrier. I really like the size of the Galaxy and a lot of the features, so as I was reading your article I thought you were confirming my choice (can't be two of us wrong, can there?). After reading your entire article, I am now 2nd guessing myself. Have you moved on to something else, or went back to the Galaxy? I was curious to what different stories they had for you. I will understand if you do not want to disclose that information. Thanks for all of the articles and keep up the good work. —Randy M. [Author Sean Chandler responds:] Randy—I actually ended up going back and getting a Galaxy Tablet after the last price drop. I'm also happy to report that my Verizon stores got their act together and could rationally explain the data plans. I'm very, very pleased with the Galaxy. In fact, I've barely touched my iPad since I brought the Galaxy home. The two most compelling reasons for my change of allegiance are: (1) I simply like the 7-inch form factor better than the 10-inch form factor. You can hold it in one hand comfortably. One of my main applications is reading (via Kindle and Nook applications), and the reading experience is better (for me) on the Galaxy. (2) The thing I dislike the most about iPads/iPhones is having to go through iTunes to load data to the device. That means I have to remember which system I've mated the device to and if I'm traveling with the wrong combination of devices/systems, I have limited means of moving data around. Not so with the Galaxy Tablet—just plug it into a USB port, and off I go! In summary, this is definitely a device I can recommend. My only hesitation is there are new dual-core, Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) devices on the horizon. These may (or may not) be more appealing than the current Galaxy Tablet. Me—I don't have the patience to wait. So if you're looking for instant gratification, I'd go with the Galaxy. Hope this helps! And thanks for reading! —Sean
Nathan Andelin
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2011 09:32 PM Accepted Answer
His review was published in February. iPad 2 was released in March. iPad 2 is faster, thiner, and lighter than it's predecessor. It has new features, and new applications. I'm looking forward to trying the new Garage Band application in particular. What if Sean Chandler had waited just one month?
Scott Klement
Editorial Staff Member
Editorial Staff Member

--
31 Mar 2011 09:37 PM Accepted Answer
I don't think Sean would've chosen iPad, even if he had waited a month. As he said, he wants choice -- not just one option (and that's all Apple gives you.)
Linda Harty
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2011 09:48 PM Accepted Answer
I'll send Sean a note with a link to this forum thread and see if he'll post a reply in here, or at least provide me with a quote to post for him. :-) Re: Garage Band. My husband got it on the iPad 2 a couple of weeks ago, and he and my son absolutely love it. I haven't tried it out yet. I will when I get my own iPad, which like you guys, I ordered and am having to wait a few weeks for. My husband stood in line on the release day to get the iPad 2 we have now, but I want my own--with an orange cover. :-) Scott, actually, Sean has an iPad too. He's a gadget lover, for sure (scroll to the end of the article to see the iPad reference; it's in the Astro sidebar): http://systeminetwork.com/article/e...-platforms
J Taylor

--
31 Mar 2011 10:06 PM Accepted Answer
I adore my Droid X, which is why I am looking for an Android tablet. I passed on the iPhone because, AFAIK, it requires a Windows or Mac PC for a lot of things, and I run Linux on my home PC. Also not having FlashPlayer on my Droid was a royal pain until it was released for Android. I'm not holding my breath on Apple allowing FlashPlayer any time soon.
Sean Chandler

--
02 Apr 2011 01:27 AM Accepted Answer
The iPad 2 would not have (and has not) changed my mind. For me there are three major factors to deciding on a tablet: (1) screen size, (2) ability to directly access the device storage, and (3) applications. On the first point I favor the 7 inch form factor, so the iPad 2 is no improvement on the iPad 1. On the second point, iPad 2 still requires iTunes to get to the storage, so again, no progress. The third point certainly favors the iPad though. There are simply more applications on the iPad tablets than on Android tablets. Moreover if you are using a tablet for Exchange-based email, the iPad is a clear winner there as well. The caveat for all of this is if you are trying to get to one device for everything. You see, I still use an iPhone so I have access to business email and lots of apps. My Android tablet is more for personal entertainment (especially reading). Finally I have more application choice if I'm using the combination of iPhone and Android tablet than if I'm using the combination of iPhone and iPad. The only drawback is more cables to cart around...
J Taylor

--
04 Apr 2011 12:39 PM Accepted Answer
iPad definitely wins in the sheer number of apps, but Android has the apps I need (Apple doesn't). I looked into Xoom a couple of months ago, but, at the time, there was no wifi version and no clear timetable for one. The Xoom looks good on paper, now I just need to find a store with a display model. I want to get my hands on one before taking the plunge.
JJ Dahlheimer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
04 Apr 2011 07:11 PM Accepted Answer
This just popped today on buy.com daily deals. Did not read to much into it but seems decent. http://www.buy.com/prod/viewsonic-g...01228.html
Nathan Andelin
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Apr 2011 11:10 PM Accepted Answer
I understand that different individuals will have different priorities for personal devices like tablets. But if you were responsible for recommending a standard for organizations such as K-12 schools to be used by teachers and students in classrooms and computer labs, which would you recommend? Teachers may use it for developing and presenting curriculum materials on big screen monitors, running grade book software, etc. Another key criteria would be to come up with something uniform that would assist students in the use of 21st century technology. -Nathan Andelin
Garry Taylor
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Apr 2011 11:42 PM Accepted Answer
I have a Galaxy Tab, it's unremarkable in the extreme, but that's kind of it's strength. It excels at nothing but is acceptable at everything. The iPad I think excels at the UI, and has better web, but it's inflexibility is an issue for me, and also it's great, big screen means it's no more portable than a little laptop. I don't think Android tablets are ready yet, maybe the Honeycomb ones will be, but I doubt it. Apple has a much stronger product, but my dislike for their policies would prevent me purchasing one.
Chris Holko
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Apr 2011 11:20 AM Accepted Answer
I have an iPad 2, my friend has a Xoom and Nook. I mention the Nook because it can be purchased for around $200 and with a jailbreak trick it makes a decent tablet for Android. While it cannot use honeycomb (Android 3.0) it is a cheap alternative. Comparing the Xoom to iPad 2. The only real world advantage the Xoom has is the ability to play Flash on the web, provided it doesn't lock up. You can supposedly get an app on the iPad for flash but I have not. I have a 5250 (Mocha soft?) for the iPad and Juniper VPN combined makes easy access to my machines. I think the 5250 is way over priced but they are the only game in town. Honestly after using my friends Xoom I would never buy one. It just doesn't work. By not work I mean, some features on the box are not active. It locked up twice in the hour or so we were playing with both tablets. Including requiring some trick with pressing one of the volume buttons and another button to reset it. If your heart is set on avoiding the Apple product then wait till later in the year, like third quarter.
Rocky Marquiss

--
05 Apr 2011 02:47 PM Accepted Answer
I understand that different individuals will have different priorities for personal devices like tablets. But if you were responsible for recommending a standard for organizations such as K-12 schools to be used by teachers and students in classrooms and computer labs, which would you recommend? Teachers may use it for developing and presenting curriculum materials on big screen monitors, running grade book software, etc. Another key criteria would be to come up with something uniform that would assist students in the use of 21st century technology. -Nathan Andelin
Sadly most school districts & teachers like Apple products - I would tend to think that iPad would likely be their product of choice...
Chris Holko
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Apr 2011 03:04 PM Accepted Answer
Sadly most school districts & teachers like Apple products - I would tend to think that iPad would likely be their product of choice...
Apple has people dedicated to sell to the school systems, the Android market is too unorganized to provide a clear alternative. Apple has many times tried to sell school systems in Georgia laptops for high schools and the like and now is trying to sell the iPad as an alternative to textbooks. Both had costs too high when the number of students is factored in
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Acceptable Use Policy